Code of Conduct for committee members, officials and volunteers
As a volunteer at the club, we understand you have the right to:
- Enjoy the time you spend with us and be supported in your role.
- Be informed of Wavepower and the club child safeguarding reporting procedures.
- Know who the Welfare Officer(s) is/are and how to contact them.
- Be informed of the internal club complaints process and who to contact at the club for advice on complaints.
- Be aware of the club rules and procedures.
- Be involved and contribute towards decisions within the club.
- Be respected and treated fairly by the club.
- Feel welcomed, valued and listened to.
As a volunteer at the club we expect you to:
- Adhere to and implement Wavepower and the club safeguarding procedures.
- Adhere to the Swim England Equality and Diversity Policy.
- Adhere to the Swim England regulations, Code of Ethics, club constitution and rules.
- Adhere to any conditions stipulated under the pool hire agreement.
- Refer all child safeguarding concerns to the Welfare Officer.
- Ensure all complaints are referred under the internal club complaints process.
- Champion everyone’s right to take part and celebrate difference in our club or activity by not discriminating against anyone else on the grounds of gender, race, sexual orientation, faith or ability.
- Adhere to your role responsibilities.
- Make our club a happy, friendly and welcoming place for all members.
- Attend child safeguarding training every three years if applicable for your role.
- Ensure you have a current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate (renewable every three years) if applicable to your role.
- Keep any qualifications or CPD up to date if applicable to your role.
- Lead by example by promoting positive behaviour and good sportsmanship. Encourage all members to behave in a positive manner and follow the rules of the club and sport.
- Never encourage or condone members of the club to breach the rules of the sport.
- Treat all personal information about members or their families on a confidential “need-to-know” basis unless information sharing with others is required to protect and safeguard a child from harm.
- Observe the authority of officials and follow the rules of the sport when questioning any decisions.
- Treat with respect and encourage all members to respect all competitors and teams from other organisations in victory or defeat.
Breaches of the Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action being taken against you by the club committee under the judicial regulations. Continued issues and repeated breaches may result in your dismissal from the club.
Version 1.1 April 2020